Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mural restoration....dots before my eyes.

A friend of mine, Joan Perry, posted on her blog her picture of the faded and marred mural seen on one wall of the Sotille Theater.

It is covered with adhesive "dots" left when tiles were taken down.

Not sure why it was covered over  but, during a restoration,  this hidden treasure was revealed.

My brothers and I grew up living on the peninsula and attended movies at all of the places downtown. The Riviera, Majestic, American and Palace.

We knew this as the Gloria Theater.

Frankly, I remember the blue sky overhead in a large circle - with little white lights for stars - but I don't recall large paintings on either wall.

I was a kid and more interested in the movie playing and making trips to the lobby for popcorn, sodas and candy.

Joan did research on its history and said plans are to restore it to its former glory.

Heck, I am impatient and sat for a while applying effects from my Topaz Plug-In. It's like Photoshop.

 Here is my version of how I think it will look.

Thank you Joan for your delightful blog which inspired me to start mine 8 years ago. I did all this editing of your photo without permission from you to do so. Yikes.

Like my habit of belated fact-checking, I jumped the gun and hope you are pleased.

(Click on both to see the before and the after.)

One of the Topaz tools lets me adjust the perspective a bit, to make it appear more square.

Of course, the camera does not lie.

* wink * wink


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Sun Jan 25, 10:36:00 PM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

Well done Chuck! That took some work! Too bad you can't photoshop the original work.

 
At Sun Jan 25, 11:00:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Thanks Joan. I'm just glad you're not angry I "hijacked" your photo!

 
At Mon Jan 26, 10:43:00 AM , Blogger Rick said...

Nice job of restoration on your computer. I don't remember the walls being decorated with that either, Heck, I don't even know where the Majestic Theater could be. I remember the Gloria, the Arcade, the Riviera, the Garden, the Palace and the Lincoln but I never heard of nor attended the Majestic theater. I've been here since '49.

 
At Mon Jan 26, 11:33:00 AM , Blogger chuckography said...

Rick, you missed the Victory Theater on Society Street, just off King. It was torn down around 1946-47. The Majestic facade still frames a clothing store on King, a few doors down from Calhoun, same side of the street as Moe's.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home