Monday, January 16, 2012

Remember Candy Cigarettes?

Here's a sight you don't see too often nowadays.

Well, maybe in North Charleston.

A diner with a cigarette in his/her mouth is fading from the scene.

A person with a CANDY cigarette is even more rare.

Yes, I added the "glowing" red tip at the end.

It's how I remember them when I was growing up.

This friend, and member of my photo group. was surprised on his 50th birthday with a dinner at the Texas Roadhouse across from the K Mart at Otranto.


I had not been there before.

It was a delightful, raucous, noisy, fun-filled evening with some good steaks.

The "Gag Gift" bag had the candy smokes, candy dots on strips of paper, vintage candy bars, a bottled soft drink and other items from the 1960s.

Didn't see if there were any tiny wax bottles with a sweet liquid inside.


There was a presentation of a small Sock Monkey puppet to the birthday boy.

Several others appeared and Sock Monkey Business ensued, each trying to outdo the others in outrageous poses.

Oh my.

As I looked around the table, almost everybody was snapping pictures.

That's expected from a group of photographers.

But there were only three cameras.

The rest were "cell phones" that also took pictures.

I held my camera up to my ear and said "Can you hear me now?"



On the way out I stopped to take a picture of a colorful restored jukebox.

Nice touch, and very appropriate for a 50th birthday celebration.

(Click - twice - on the photos to see more detail.)

Didn't use any Photoshop this time, except for adding the "fire" on the end of the Candy Camel.

At this place, they call the bread just "toast."

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Mon Jan 16, 12:33:00 PM , Blogger Rick said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. I do remember candy cigs. I'd walk a mile for a Carmel.

 
At Tue Feb 28, 11:24:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It almost seems that electronic cigarettes are starting to replace not just candy cigarettes, but regular cigs as a whole too.

Good post...

 
At Tue Feb 28, 01:33:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

This spam is so targeted and wry that I think I'll leave it.
I did not check to see if they have smaller electronic models for kids.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home