Monday, December 31, 2007

"Riding" the elevator...


Today I was back in my old stomping grounds, the Post and Courier building downtown. It's the annual drop-in for retirees and I never miss a chance to have the paper buy me something.

After pushing the floor button in the elevator, I remembered a time - back before I retired - when I was going up with 4 other people... and the phone rang.

Not a cell phone. The EMERGENCY phone hidden away in a small box in the wall of the elevator. We all know there is one but I had never heard one ring before. I opened the box, picked up the black receiver and said "Hello..Elevator."

There was a stunned silence on the other end then they hung up. Guess they had missed a digit when dialing. Later, when I checked, I did not see a number listed in our directory for the elevator.

But I did take a hard look at the inspection notice hanging in plain view. Elevators are under the jurisdiction of the State Department of Labor, the Office of Elevators and Amusement Rides.

During the annual Fair in Ladson, do you think fewer elevators get inspected?

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Tue Jan 01, 12:06:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopping by to wish you a Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home