Saturday, January 14, 2012

One (Semi) Giant Leap....

To travel in space is to leave Earth. Blasting off on a Shuttle Mission would require trained Astronauts and a huge support team. Those fellows who landed - and walked - on the moon rightfully claimed a "giant leap for mankind." The flag and the Lunar Rover they drove are still sitting up there on the lunar surface. They left the keys in the ignition, I understand. That pesky GRAVITY makes it extremely hard to jump high enough to "leave" earth. My photo group recently was on a downtown Photo Walk and I suggested we experiment with levitation. Several of us would pose, crouch and count down "3-2-1" and then jump as high as we could. The others in the group - with cameras set at a fast shutter speed - clicked rapidly to record our momentary elevation above the ground. It was a fun experience and created some interesting digital results. None of us made it very far up into the sky. On my way to dinner the other night, I saw an old picnic table next to a brick wall. I handed my camera to a friend and showed him the area I wanted to include. We waited until several passersby had passed by and then I stood on the bench seat of the table. I posed as if I were airborne and he snapped the shutter. Later, using Photoshop, I "removed" the outdoor bench and table by covering it over with a clone of the bricks. I am keeping an eye out for something much, much higher for my next launch into space. (Click - twice- on the photos to see more details. Look closely at the bricks beneath me. The next "leap" will have to be spectacular!

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Sun Feb 19, 11:40:00 AM , Anonymous Stefanie said...

Such a great article it was which The others in the group - with cameras set at a fast shutter speed - clicked rapidly to record our momentary elevation above the ground. In which Blasting off on a Shuttle Mission would require trained Astronauts and a huge support team. Thanks for sharing this article.

 
At Fri Mar 09, 01:01:00 PM , Anonymous Katie said...

Indeed nice post hat pesky GRAVITY makes it extremely hard to jump high enough to leave earth. Its keeping an eye out for something much, much higher for my next launch into space.Thanks a lot .

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home