Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Have a "Candlestick" telephone?

Well, THIS is not exactly the telephone I have been using lately.

Mine did not have a rotary dial.

But it also was NOT a hand-held computer and could not give me driving directions from point A to point B.

I never really wanted a new "phone" because my Tracfone ($7 a month) was fine for the last 6-7 years.

Also the minutes I bought would accumulate and I had built up a surplus of 300 minutes. Oh, and I didn't want to sign a 2-year contract.

The LG Optimus V 2.2 from Virgin Mobil/Sprint cost $149, has no contract and, for $25 a month, I have unlimited internet, unlimited text/messaging and 300 phone minutes.

I canceled my phone package deal through Comcast and no longer have a "stationary" phone at home. Yikes.

Pretty gutsy for a 70-year old guy.

This model is described online as a very good entry-level (some reviews said mid-level) Smartphone and has a lot of bells and whistles which are outlandish to my baby-steps mind.

I used the WiFi hotspot to activate my netbook - because I could - and set up a secure line naming it after a local bar. THAT will confuse the people in the trailer parks all around me.

The GPS talked me down a street I remembered as being a dead end but saw it has been opened and paved and now is a short cut I use often.

The calendar that syncs with my computer is awesome and I wonder how I survived juggling paper desk calendars for so many years.

The "swipe motion" keyboard is easier than learning to type at my age. Two-fingers on each hand have worked for years (40wpm!) and I have never texted (done a text message) ever.

I'm babbling on because it is all so new to me.

Obviously I have seen people with Blackberries and they always looked happy with an inner glow.

I saw an ad for a retro handset so I had to have that.

I haven't seen one for a retro 'stick phone.

Yet.


(Click on the pictures to see them larger.

The 'stick phone image was found on the internet but the others were taken by me. Did I mention I really like high tech?

Thanks for coming by. Hey, call me.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Wed Mar 09, 03:26:00 PM , Blogger ComcastCares1 said...

How cool is that? I need to get one of those! :)

Anyway, I work for Comcast. I read that you discontinued your phone service from us. I hope you still have your cable and internet with us though. If you're interested, I can reach out to my contacts to see if we have a low priced package for you.

Best regards,

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
Mark_casem@cable.comcast.com

 
At Thu Mar 10, 05:31:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Hey Mark, just have Comcast STOP sending me all the new lower-price offers.

They always have small print that says "For new customers only."

Duh.

 
At Sat Mar 12, 11:10:00 PM , Blogger Kat said...

hahaha... Mark is an okay guy, Ian has dealt with him when we had Comcast... he forgets that sometimes there is that small fine print... =)

Love the blog Chuck, glad you're finally upgraded!! LOL.. its get easier and easier soon you be having the newest DROID... Ian has upgraded his to the next Droid..of which I will eventually inherit when I get there and he wants that pad thingy (not ipad)... love the handset idea though.. where did you get that! =)

 
At Sun Mar 13, 02:49:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Several people asked..just Google Retro Handset." Mine came from Moshi Moshi.com.

Some are wireless but I WANTED the coiled cord!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home