Saturday, May 10, 2014

Walterboro ROCKS!

Today was a nice day to sit back, relax and watch all the people passing by.

I'm thinking it's been about 15 years since I've spent time in Walterboro.

Actually I am a week early for the 8th annual Walterboro Antiques, History & Arts Festival May 16 and 17.

I am sure I had not strolled around before at the South Carolina Artisans Center or walked a bit along the delightful split-rail fenced Great Swamp Sanctuary hiking trail.

My week-before-the-Festival preview visit included meandering around the Colleton  County Museum & Farmers Market.

A former fellow native Charlestonian offered me some special sausage that contained no preservatives or nitrates.

Tasty!

I had to stop and sample  Chef Dana Cheney's Creamy Potato Garlic Soup.

It is made with one and a half pounds of baking potatoes, peeled and diced.
And other ingredients including 2 tablespoons minced garlic...or more.

The recipe booklet he handed out says it is OK to use leftover mashed potatoes.

There was beautiful scenery at the Great Swamp and the slightly rising walkway meant it would be downhill on the way back to the car.

Or was it the other way around?

Pamphlets touted the 12 antique stores in town and the circle formed by two nearby easy on, easy off exits from Interstate 95.

"Drive The Loop" is suggested.

Had to stop and take a picture of Bishop's Body Shop when I noticed two giant hedges had been trimmed to have the shape of  a car and a truck.

Clever greenage/signage.




I had admired such plant topiary art at Disney and the San Diego Zoo but never thought of cutting and shaping bushes to make your business stand out.
Out at the former Henderson Field, I saw the monument to the Tuskegee Airmen who had trained there during WWII.

And the original 1940s signal beacon light that had guided planes to safe landings at the aviation training facility.
After tasting the distinctive garlic, I did pause at the Farmer's Market and savor seeing mounds and mounds of veggies marked "picked last night." 
(Click on the photos for more detail.)

Shop for produce responsibly.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home