Sunday, June 08, 2008

LOL and All That Jazz...

The last Piccolo Spoleto Jazz Evening for 2008 upstairs at Mistral's ended on a high note. Literally.

Bobbie Storm sang up a storm as she has been doing in Charleston for the last four decades. She was one of the first jazz performers I enjoyed when I came back to Charleston in 1993.

Back then she sang at places like Chef & Clef and Acme Bar & Grill (Think global/Drink local). Very fitting that Mistral's fairly new upstairs setting was her venue.

Another music place I have found to be very enjoyable is Mad River, the former Seaman's Chapel on Market at East Bay. The room is perfect with fine acoustics and a wait staff eager to make your visit a good one.

Jazz, Blues...and comedy. These are a few of my favorite things and the comedic Finale at Theater 99 was, as always, a treat.

Upright Citizens Brigade, the touring group down from NYC, demonstrated there MIGHT be humor in a visit to the OB/GYN.

The UCB also observed during their stay that Charlestonians loved their city and loved to drink. Looking just on my row, I guess I'd have to agree.

The home team of The Have Nots had fun "making sausage" on stage - in English and Spanish.

The script for all the shows there is blank paper and fertile minds. Wow.

I'm about to wrap up my stint as a SpoJo (citizen journalist covering Spoleto Piccolo) and suggest you take a look at the home base www.Spoletotoday.com for all the coverage by staff and we humble SpoJos. Thank you.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Mon Jun 09, 11:10:00 AM , Blogger DaddyWakamole said...

Saw you up front and center at ZZ Top last night. Looking forward to reading your impressions on that show.

 
At Thu Jun 12, 12:55:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

My joy was having my camera legal when I was sitting that close up. And those beards! Yikes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home