Friday, July 18, 2014

This is NOT just pocket change....

There's a sign of change going on this weekend.

And, a change of signs.

As of now, obviously, there is no "i" in First.

First Federal is changing its name to something, something Bank.

 When I came back to Charleston and started doing business with them in 1993, I believe they were still a Savings & Loan. Or a Trust.

Would have to be a much bigger sign to get all THAT up there.

The guys on the ladders gave me and my camera a glance but got back to work, taking down the old name.

One letter at a time.

An image of  Vanna White went through my mind as I watched them tugging and prying to remove each letter.

Oh, that's right, she ADDS letters to the puzzle on "The Wheel."

This was late on a Friday and I saw that the large sign standing out front was now flat on the ground.

These fellows had been busy.

I remember a funny Steve Allen phone call he made while hosting the very new Tonight Show.

He told "Big A Cleaners" that he had a large cloth letter, an A,  that was very dirty.

Well, maybe you had to be there in my living room, but I remember laughing hard.

I posted a blog a while back about the time I met Mr. Allen - in his home - where he recorded a short script I had written.

That is, after he expertly edited and shortened it. "Too many words," he advised me.

Yeah, I get that a lot.

But, back to this sign deal.

South State Bank is the new name and here's one of the signs that are going up all over town this weekend.

And all over the region.

It's the result of a major merger and affects banks large and small in cities and towns throughout three states.

Even in Vanna's hometown of Myrtle Beach.

I was driving to the Tanger Outlet Stores today and saw - or rather did NOT see - the sign in front of my bank.

(Click on the photos for more details)

Years ago I had seen a house trailer being used as a temporary bank, next to where the real brick & mortar one was being built.

Wasn't too comfortable with the idea of depositing my money in a bank that was on wheels.

F rst Federal, er, I mean, South State is making sure all its depositors are well informed about the changes.

That's a good sign.





Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Mon Jul 21, 09:09:00 AM , Blogger Rick said...

I laughed. A big cloth A.

 
At Wed Jul 30, 07:53:00 PM , Blogger Paul said...

Too many words! ;) I rather like the name Big A Cleaners! I wonder if they do other letters, too.

 
At Wed Jul 30, 08:36:00 PM , Blogger chuckography said...

Maybe. Wonder if they have 26 branch stores by now. Hmmm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home