Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Search For The HOLY GRAIL...

It's normal for a beer drinker to ask "what's on tap?"

Naturally you hope an empty cup is not covering the handle of the tap you want. That means it's not available.

Hmm..things not looking too good for me this Sunday at the Village Tavern in Mt. Pleasant.

Owner Daniel Drew explained they were waiting for a part for the draft operation and pointed to the glass-fronted coolers filled with a wide variety of bottled beer. "And, " he added "would you care for a free heaping bowl of delicious Frogmore Stew?

He had a big pot simmering on the stove in the kitchen for his Sunday afternoon regulars and soon I was digging in and sipping a cold Heinekens.

I was not a frequent visitor but I felt welcome as his long time clients would step out front for a smoke, chat with others and then wander back in.

Sports were on 4 or 5 tvs scattered about the bar and people were shooting pool in the other room where the stage is set up for Indie/Rock bands to play. The sound system here is one of the best in the city.

Daniel bought the place about a year ago and when I asked about the golden "chalice" he was using as a drinking cup, he explained. "I call it the Holy Grail. It used to be a lamp."

Made sense to me and I had another bowl of Frogmore stew. It WAS delicious.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wed Aug 27, 11:03:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy $H!T!! I made that "chalice" out of an ugly old lamp that I found in the back of Daniel's truck!! Too Funny!! All Hale to the Grail!!!

 
At Thu Sep 04, 01:35:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Mandy, you make good chalice. I came back a few Sundays later and saw some draft taps were working. Had a cold one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home