Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Marine....


Today is the 233rd birthday of the United States Marine Corps.

I slipped on one of my many USMC t-shirts and headed out to shake the hand of a Marine.

I wanted to wish him - or her - a Happy Birthday and say thanks..

Hunkered down in the middle of the Aviation Avenue/Remount Road interchange construction, there is a small facility with the familiar scarlet and gold signage: Marine Corps Reserve.

I shook a young man's hand and asked about the Birthday Ball this evening. "Sir," he replied, "we had the ball last Friday." I looked quizzical and he continued "we had to, sir, it was a reserve training weekend."

The tradition at the Ball is to serve the first slice of cake to the oldest Marine present. I asked who ate cake first..when did he join up?

"Sir, the oldest Marine there joined in 1967."

I have a good chance for first slice next year, at the 234th celebration.

I joined the Marines on June 17, 1957.

(The picture above shows me on field maneuvers in Vieques, off Puerto Rico, in 1959)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Fri Nov 14, 05:00:00 PM , Blogger JT said...

I'm a bit late, but thank you for your service.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home