Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Making "good" even better...

Some members of my Photography Group have mentioned "Plug-Ins" a few times.

Usually during "Show & Tell" when we all suck in our breath and express admiration for a picture projected on the big screen.

My shots usually don't draw that level of appreciation.

I bought my first Topaz plug-in called CLARITY, hoping I could add some of that missing awe element.

This shot of the Ravenel Bridge was pretty good but now it surprises even me ... and I was there!

Same with this late-in-the-day picture of the Grand Canyon.

It was a highlight of a magical afternoon, evening, night and dawn on the South Rim.

This manipulation tool brings out many subtle shades of canyon strata that didn't seem so obvious in the earlier posting.

Once I found out the Topaz product was compatible with the Photoshop Elements 10 I have been using, I decided to give it a try.

It's part of a whole suite one can buy and download. I had been told that ADJUST would be a good first step then this was just announced.

It offered an introductory price of $29.99 (save $20) so I was eager to check it out.

I take a LOT of pictures in music venues with varied levels of lighting.

The Pour House has been visited by me 6 times in the last 14 days. The last show was a group of talented performers called the New Orleans Suspects.

They have played with the Neville Brothers, Professor Longhair, Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Sax man Jeff Walker, was with James Brown for 12 years.

Yeah, they have the chops. And showed every bit to a happy, clapping Friday night crowd.

Here's keyboardist C.R.Gruver and drummer "Mean" Willie Green (in a 4-panel acoustic shield around his drum set).

"Ice Man" Reggie Scanlan and Jake Eckert on lead guitar  join the sax man in the ever-changing colored spotlights on the PoHo stage.

These performance shots were run through the Topaz plug-in to bring out certain colors or textures that had not shown before.

Out on the deck, ending just before the NOLA Suspects started, the Steel Rollers drew the faithful to a FREE themed night show that varies during the week.

A fan had written to ask where the name came from?

Not describing pieces of metal but from the name of a malt liquor beverage.

I've enjoyed both the band and the beer.

(Click on the photos for more details.)

Did not use the Topaz treatment on the deck band. Well, not yet.

It may become part of all my favorite shots.


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Tue Jun 04, 07:56:00 PM , Blogger Paul said...

I don't use Topaz, but I did use my ears on Friday night and, The New Orleans Suspects were great. When I left, my ears were quite a bit 'foggy', but they cleared by morning. I'll have to remember the earplugs, for next time. Vanessa and I had a wonderful time. Thanks for the invite.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home