Thursday, May 24, 2012

Do As I Do..Not As I Say.

The best way to learn is by doing.

That's not a famous quote.

Just something I happen to believe.

Shem Creek has a new long, long boardwalk that let's you walk out to where the shrimp boats (trawlers) leave the creek and enter the harbor.

My buddy Ron was down from Chicago and we spent a few days walking around with our matching Canon S90 digital cameras.

I stress they are identical. But, Ron's pictures look better than mine.

The panoramic shot of the creek was taken by Ron.

I could have taken the same 4-5 shots and then stitched them together seamlessly.

But I don't have the program he had downloaded into his camera that puts it all together. He told me what program to get and I will.

We both shot these oddly-shaped trees during a Sunday walk on King Street. His shows the shadows better.

I really like the way I caught the flags back-lighted.

They seem to glow.

Ron kept walking and didn't shoot this one.

He had his eye on something up ahead that was small and he crouched down to get an extreme closeup.

Photographers do that all the time.

I started to point back at the Fulton Five restaurant facade but the sun had gone behind a cloud.

Meh. With the dramatic lighting gone, it didn't look that great.

We continued walking.

The glasses stacked behind the bar at Leaf restaurant on Beaufain Street were shiny and glistening..

We had stopped and found the Sunday brunch was available for another half hour.

When Ron got his meal, he took some pictures with his camera looking though his glass of water.

The distortion was profound.

My meal was great.

Ron didn't take a picture of his food.

That's something we bloggers do.

Ron doesn't blog.

So that's how the week went.

He would shoot something and usually I'd admire it.

Then we'd discuss how he did it and I would give it a shot.

Or, he liked one of mine and would give it a try.

His usually looked better.

Sigh.

(Click on the photos for more detail.)

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri May 25, 07:46:00 AM , Blogger Kate said...

A great time with a buddy on a photo shoot!!

 
At Fri May 25, 05:18:00 PM , Blogger Judy Reeves said...

Love the photos and your minimalist narrative. Your lunch looks good, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home