Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The VERY Grand Canyon...

At the different scenic overlooks along the South Rim, shuttle drivers make suggestions.

Some give advice about hiking trails.

Yeah, right. Me trudging to the bottom and walking back up.

Aboard a rescue helicopter maybe.

Others talk about the photography opportunities at each stop. For these, I listen and learn.

In this one we're told there's a view of the Colorado River about a mile or so down.
Uh oh, I see it but it's a muddy dark brown color.

Blends right in.

Well, Photoshop has a blue tool for that.

A little cosmetic touch up for Mother Nature.

I'm no longer a newspaper photographer so I can play around a bit with my photos.


That evening I was disappointed I couldn't see the immense sky filled with millions, or billions, of stars.

This is high desert country so I had hoped to be truly amazed.

The full moon ruined my view.

Duh, wait a minute. Set the camera on a flat rock and take a 15-second exposure.

Pure moonlight. Awesome. Look out Ansel Adams.

The next morning - a day that started at 5:00am to catch a sunrise - I was walking back to the shuttle and had to stop for a deer crossing.

Not a yellow sign warning about the animals, but three deer that were heading from point A to point B.

Across the path and parking lot.

I'm just glad it wasn't Smokey the Bear.

(Please click on the photos - twice - for more detail.)

Later I saw a highway sign with a picture of an elk.

It said simply "Watch for Animals Next 10 Miles."

I was very careful.

I was heading to The Strip in Las Vegas.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Apr 13, 10:11:00 PM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

Beautiful! Wow. I hiked down many years ago. Got that checked off the list. I could hardly walk for two days after I climbed out of the canyon!

 
At Tue May 01, 06:14:00 AM , Blogger Eyebee said...

Great shots. But hang on a minute... I re-read one bit. Are you telling me that newspaper photographers never play around with their photos? Not even a little bit? :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home