Tuesday, January 04, 2011

TMI (Too Much Information)...

Recently I was reading a Lowcountry blog that I like called Patrick's Place.

He touches on many topics and said he'd noticed some shrinkage in the toilet paper industry.

I like to be frugal and an informed consumer so I read on about the tissue issue.

The large bag I usually buy says "36 double rolls = 90 regular rolls!"

Patrick's posting made me start looking closer at the various details shown on TP labels. Yikes!

If "recycled" means what I think it means, we probably don't want to know this.



Patrick said his roll of 1,000 sheet Scott brand had shrunk to less than a 4-inch patch.

What?

My latest TP buy has only 220 sheets per roll! And these are called DOUBLE rolls.

Oh sure, each sheet was a tiny bit larger, but he's getting 1,000!?

Apparently - once you REALLY read the contents - sheets have been 4.0 inches long but vary in width up to 4 1/2 inches.

Slicing off that extra half inch of paper is saving somebody a bundle of money.

Oh. Then I noticed 1-ply and two-ply.

When my supply of "equal to 90 regular rolls" is wiped out, guess I'll be shopping more carefully.


(You CAN click for more detail but not sure why you would want to. Store shelf tags show cost per square foot of paper. Shop wisely. Thanks.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Jan 14, 02:42:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Here's an update in the paper trails: I settled on 400 sheets 4.5" x 4.0" 2-ply rolls of a brand called POM. They are individually wrapped "for resale." If you need a roll or two, let me know.

 
At Mon Jan 17, 06:48:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same thing is happening to facial tissue. It's about 1/2" narrower these days, but so far the box has remained the same size.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home