Thursday, July 15, 2010

Giving Up Boating ....


I had to stop going out in my boat for medical reasons.

No, really. I went to a dermatologist about 7 years ago and found I had skin cancer.

As they say, if you have to have it, I had the "good" kind. It was a basal cell carcinoma and a surgeon removed it.

But I grew up in the South Carolina Lowcountry and, as a youth, had a long history of getting sunburned, peeling, then going back for more so I could have a tan.


I was raised believing that bronzed skin looked nice and healthy.

But CANCER is an ugly prospect.

So I got rid of my boat.

And I sold the snappy-looking convertible.

I put myself on a schedule to see the skin doctor every six months. And even sooner if I saw something unusual.

I bought a Tilley wide-brim hat and I stocked up on 30+ sun block.

Sometimes I miss the wind in my hair and the smell of salt air.


That's when I dig into my photo files and take a look at a client's 50-foot yacht down in Florida.

I had snapped it years ago to use on a business card I was making for him.

He had even let me take a picture standing at the wheel of the $$$ yacht.... for about 10-15 seconds.

Wow. I was afraid to move!

I was never that nervous with my own little 14-footer.

Saw the skin doctor today and I'm doing fine she said.

(Click on pictures for more detail. These are old photos so they don't appear too much larger.) Thanks.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Fri Jul 16, 09:21:00 AM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

Funny - I read your entry after getting back from my first boat ride this year. It was lovely to be out while the sun was setting.

 
At Fri Jul 16, 09:38:00 AM , Anonymous Chuck Boyd said...

I hope your ride was of the larger sort. A 14-footer is "cozy."

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home