Thursday, April 08, 2010

Easy as 1,2,3. And, sometimes 4 & 5..

I read somewhere you should not blog or mention online any upcoming trips.

Criminal types will take note.

Come back and your stuff is gone.

Worse when it happens to you on the road.

Well almost.

My recent 8-day Amtrak vacation included a very comfortable ride up to Washington,DC. After a few days there, hopped on for a day in Baltimore and that evening continued to Philadelphia.

The Cherry Blossoms peaked right on time while I was there.

The Smithsonian had several areas open that were closed my last trip.

Saw Archie Bunker's chair and hat.

Went into the Smithsonian Castle too.



The best though was a narrated night tour of 6 monuments and memorials.

Gave my new "almost SLR" point-and-shoot camera a real workout.

The deal was the way I kept track of my valuables: 1. My camera on my belt, 2. My cell phone and 3. My wide-brimmed Tilley hat (with a $20 tucked inside.)

Adding my back pack one day meant adding another number.

But, before that, I left my hat in the cafe at the Newseum.

Remembered it 15 minutes later as I walked past real sections of the Berlin Wall and entered a theater. Reached up to take off my hat.

Went back to the dining area and the cashier said "Here's your hat," when I asked if it had been turned in.

Later that day used my camera at National Building Museum to capture the huge room that was a site for an Inaugural Ball last year. Used some photo manipulation to make it really special looking.

The back pack got left behind in Baltimore.

I realized it was gone when I was across town an hour before the train was to leave for Philly.

More on that later.

(As usual, please click on the photos for a larger image and more detail. The new camera is the Canon S90 with lots of manual controls.)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Fri Apr 09, 12:44:00 AM , Blogger Elvin said...

Were the line of beers in the first picture before or after the hat and backpack incidents? Just kidding. I hope you were able to recover the backpack. And I hope the rest of the trip went smoothly.

 
At Sun Apr 11, 08:45:00 AM , Anonymous angie mizzell said...

The beer photo is priceless! Chuck, you sound like me... I once left my purse on top of the Space Needle in Seattle. I still can't believe an honest person turned it in. My husband and my friends still give me a hard time about having to go all they way back up there.

On another note, I really enjoy Baltimore. I like all cities on the water that remind me of Charleston in their own way.

I love your photos and your blog.

 
At Sun Apr 11, 01:23:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Maybe I should explain: a brewery often will have a "flight" of its product so you can sample 5-6 ozs. of a variety. (It's also a cheap way to get a lot of beer!)I always ask.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home