Thursday, August 13, 2009

Nice Kitty, Kitty....

The world-famous San Diego Zoo. In the 1960s.

My newspaper, The Evening Tribune, assigned me to take my camera and roam the very large zoo one night to take pictures of "nocturnals."

These were the animals that were quiet and dormant in daylight and became alert - and hungry - at night.

A pleasant surprise was this warm, "cuddly" bunch of tigers. Like most cats, they slept a lot during the day .....and also slept most of the night.

Obviously they were aroused by a bright light that was not part of the normal routine.

This photograph became very popular after it appeared in the paper. People paid a small fee for copies and the paper was happy to send them out.

I was just happy there was a wide moat between me and the cats that night.

Too bad it wasn't in color.

(*I had to look it up: this would be called a "streak" or "ambush" of tigers.)

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Sat Aug 15, 12:37:00 PM , Blogger CarolinaDreamz said...

I think the San Diego Zoo is what I miss, the most, about not living in San Diego. When we visit other zoo's, its a little depressing.

What a wonderful thing to roam the zoo at night..

~Heidi

 
At Sun Aug 30, 05:56:00 AM , Anonymous Wow Gold said...

nice blog.

 
At Thu Sep 24, 11:48:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

~That's My Hunter~OMG~I Miss Him So Much~I Never Saw This Pic~Was It Taken Before or After the Nike's Disappeared~

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home