Wednesday, December 03, 2008

...new one about every 6 years.

My plan was to "Shop Local" but nobody local makes Dell computers.

Actually, while I was (virtually) running around on CyberMonday, I did almost buy a computer at Staples which has a store in Mt. Pleasant.

They had an excellent HP computer, with a too-good-to-be-true price on the one I wanted BUT...it was out of stock.

In fact, they seemed to be out of stock on all the bargains. What a shame for them, missing so many sales.

Maybe I should have increased the amount I was willing to spend? You know, to help them out. Yeah, right.

So I went to the Dell site and found what I was looking for to replace my 6-year old Dell desktop. They are making it for me right now and will send it in a few days. I didn't need a monitor because I bought a 22" one a few months ago.

Seems like most computers come with a monitor so that must be the real money-maker.

When I was completing the online paperwork, I saw something that is new (to me): you could indicate the use of TWO credit cards to spread the purchase amount around a bit!

Guess that's a sign of the times.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thu Dec 04, 09:40:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I got my Powerbook back in 2005, most of it was a college graduation present from my dad; but it was an expensive machine so I had to pay for some of it myself.

The two-credit-card option was great for that.

--James

 
At Fri Dec 05, 04:26:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Six years ago, I was still working and wanted the best computer available. Yikes..I see I spent $2,100.

This new one (with 8x the memory and 6x the hard drive) cost only $550 (no monitor).

Wonder if the "sky is falling/everything costs more" people are aware of this?

 
At Tue Dec 16, 12:06:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

10 days closer to Christmas and I see the computer I bought has dropped another $25. How low will it go?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home