Thursday, October 09, 2008

Don't Like Labels ....

Last night I was greeting members arriving for the monthly gathering of the 21st Century Photography Meetup group, something I started last February.

(It's the 2nd Wednesday of the month so please stop by.)

Each person is asked to sign in and fill out a name tag to wear. Nice little routine that gets people to introduce themselves.

I was suddenly reminded of a convention I had attended years ago in Chicago.

After a full day of sessions and travel industry trade talk, I was glad to plop down on a bar stool and enjoy a cold beer in the Windy City. A fellow seated next to me asked "Been having a good day Chuck?"

I looked up and I was sure I didn't know him. I asked "I'm sorry, have we met?" He smiled and said "You're wearing a red name tag that says Chuck Boyd."

Sure enough, it was still stuck on my lapel and we both laughed as I peeled it off.

He said "Do you want to hear something really strange?"

"Sure," I said and he answered "MY name is Chuck Boyd too."

He showed me his driver's license and, yep, Charles Boyd of Waukegan, Illinois. Well, he DID have a different middle initial.

Hey..come on, this wasn't an episode of Twilight Zone.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Thu Oct 09, 09:29:00 PM , Blogger Ryan Rogers said...

That must of been pretty weird. I've never meet anyone with the same full name as myself.

I really enjoyed the meetup. I will definitely try to make it to the next one.

 
At Fri Oct 10, 10:03:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were four Heather Smiths at TTC while I attended. Let's just say our academic records were a mess. I do not miss my maiden name at all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home