Sunday, September 21, 2008

He "Kilt" the audience....

Of course there was a McDonald's presence at the 37th annual Scottish Games & Highland Gathering at Boone Hall.

There was the sponsorship booth with the double arches but also the tale sung by internationally famed Scottish folk singer Alex Beaton about the Massacre of the McDonald Clan by the Campbell's at Glencoe.

My blog often involves local music so his rich baritone voice and guitar work needed to be noted.

Tossing of the Caber was another event that drew lots of interest.

And well it should.

The Caber looks like a 16' telephone pole - it takes 4 people to bring it to the thrower - and weighs between 80 and 130 pounds.

These burly fellows hefted it by the "small" end, got it balanced and then ran forward.

The "toss" was to make it bounce on the heavy end and then fall after flipping so the small end faced away from them. Yikes.

My cousin is part of the Ross Clan and comes down from Camden. She invited me to join her in their tent for the gathering.

I declined again to have some Haggis, which I tried in Scotland many years ago, but missed an opportunity to try a deep-fried Scottish Egg.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Sun Sep 21, 01:57:00 PM , Blogger Steve: The Lightning Man said...

Oh, Chuck, you're missing out! Haggis is nowhere near as scary as everyone makes it out to be. I found this year's haggis rolls a bit understuffed and too flaky, though the haggis itself was delicious. The meat pies were excellent and the Scotch Eggs were something new that I tried for the first time.

The crowd was smaller than in years past and a few of the vendors were missing, but I had a good time regardless. My wife and I were married at the Games three years ago, so at 2:00 PM we return to the scene of the crime for a kiss in front of the mansion.

 
At Sun Sep 21, 03:56:00 PM , Blogger Becky said...

very cool pics! thanks for letting me know you had gotten some! as for haggis, I gave it a brief consideration but decided for fish and chips instead - perhaps next year I will be a bit more risky in my eating selection

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home