Thursday, March 01, 2007

"Have a good day, Guv"

Back in the 1970s when I was the Director of Tourism for the state of Missouri, I got a call on a Friday afternoon from the Governor's office.

They were calling to see if I could substitute for the Governor the next day as Parade Marshall during a Parade Of Boats on Lake of the Ozarks, about an hour drive south of Jeff City, the capital.

"Sure," I said and asked "would it be OK to bring my family along for a sunny day on the water?" "Of course," they responded then asked me to be sure to wear a dark blue blazer and gray slacks. Wow, there's a dress code even for the Governor.

Monday, back at the office I heard unofficially that there had been a death threat called in against the Governor on Friday.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thu Mar 01, 08:56:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I would have been a bit upset had I been used as a "stand-in" for someone who had a death threat on them. I would want to know if my life were in danger and be able to take special precautions. They should not have let you take your family if that were the case.

 
At Thu Mar 01, 09:49:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

I just came across the boat picture and remembered the story. It was a nice fun weekend.

Someone was probably just pulling my leg on Monday.

 
At Fri Mar 02, 07:28:00 AM , Blogger Charlestonjoan said...

And they wanted to make sure you looked like him - sheesh!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home