Sunday, February 18, 2007

Honor Thy Father....

The 17th Annual Charleston Blues Bash is winding down and, as I look back, I see I kept active: my printed programs shows I enjoyed 17 of the 43 performers offered.

The son of Muddy Waters - Big Bill Morganfield - qualifies as the person with the most colorful message added to a stringed musical instrument.

It was a show of fatherly pride as he channeled his daddy keeping the Robert Johnson blues tradition message alive.

My enjoyment of the Bash was briefly interrupted with a trip up to Columbia midweek to catch Billy Joel who's a legend in his own musical field. The hall was packed yet included a few "young" people ... probably grandchildren. And, Yes, he finished the 2 1/2 hour concert with Piano Man.

Back in Charleston, another sold out crowd pleaser was Leon Russell at the Pour House on Maybank Highway.

Last seen here at the "old" Cumberlands, his long white hair and beard looked the same and that gravely, twangy Okie sound was still strong. And we all still needed subtitles.

By spreading the Blues Bash around to 17 venues, many people were introduced to new places as well as old favorites. Home Team BBQ is a newcomer and enjoyed some good crowds as did Sesame in North Charleston.

The Med deli - Med Bistro had steady business when I stopped by several times and Mimi's on James Island charmed a lot of people with its creekside setting.

The 3 Lions Pub at Blackbaud Stadium on Daniel Island paired local favorite Smoky Weiner and The Hot Links with a Blues Doctor from Paris, France. In an upscale British Pub.

I'll relax tonight by going to the Music Farm for Robert Randolph and the Family Band. This is one of my favorite groups. Maybe I'll see you there?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Sat Mar 10, 09:56:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I was wondering if you had any pics from the robert randolph show that night. I was invited up on stage to jam and my friends took some crappy camera phones pics...but I was wondering where I could get some better ones. Thanks.

 
At Sat Mar 10, 10:42:00 PM , Blogger chucker said...

Curtis, thanks for the query. Your timing is good.

I have NOT cleared off that memory card yet so I checked and I DO have some shots of the TWO gutsy guys who hopped up on stage with Robert Randolph and showed their chops.

I have pics of a long-haired, bearded guy and a clean shaven one. Which one are you? Decide who you are and send me your e-mail. My site should show it.

Thanks for reading my blog..tell all your friends to check it out.

You both played great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home